Flower Power Granny Square
If you’ve made my Flower Power crochet coasters before, then you’ll love this free pattern which turns them into a granny square by adding three simple rounds. You’ll find the Flower Power coaster pattern here. Once you have made your coaster, simply follow these instructions to turn them into squares. Crochet squares are brilliant for making blankets, scarves and cushions. I’d love to see your Flower Power Granny Square creations, so please tag them with #flowerpowergrannysquare if you’re posting pictures on social media.
The following instructions are in UK terms, using 8ply cotton yarn and a 4mm hook. You’ll find the US and UK shorthand instructions at the end of this post. Have fun!
UK Flower Power Granny Square Instructions
take your flower power coaster and sl st into the top of the dtr (petal top) ch3 and then htr in between the two dcs at the base at the petals. This stitch should be right in the middle of the two petals, then ch3. * Sl st into petal top (dtr), ch3 and htr in between dcs at petal base, ch3 * repeat from. * to * around then sl st into first petal top. (12htr, 12sl st, 24 x ch-3).
Round 2 –
sl st into the ch-3 space, ch1 (this doesn’t count as a st) *Work 2htr, 1tr and 1dtr into this space then ch2. In the next ch-3 space, work 1dtr, 1tr and 2htr. Work 3dc into each of the next four ch-3 spaces.* repeat from * to * 3 more times. Sl st into first htr. (48dc, 4X groups of 2htr, 1tr, 1dtr, ch2, 1dtr, 1tr, 2htr).
ch 3 (counts as 1tr) work 1tr into each stitch until you reach the corner ch-2 space. *In the ch-2 space work 1tr, ch1, 1tr. Then 1tr into each of the stitches from the previous round. (20tr). * repeat from * to * 2 more times. Work 1tr, ch1, 1tr into the last ch-2 space, then 1tr into each st until you reach your initial ch3 (tr). Sl st into the top of this initial ch3 and fasten off. (22tr along each side = 88tr)
Ta da! Your Flower Power Coaster is now a funky granny square. Don’t forgot to tag your makes #flowerpowergrannysquare
1. Sl st into petal top, ch3, htr in between petals – repeat around. (12htr, 12sl st, 24 x ch-3)
2. At the corners work (2htr, 1tr, 1dtr, ch 2 in first ch-3 space, then 1dtr, 1tr, 2htr in the next ch-3 space). Work 3dc into each of the 4 x ch-3 spaces along the sides. (48dc, 4X groups of 2htr, 1tr, 1dtr, ch2, 1dtr, 1tr, 2htr).
3. Work 1tr into each st at the sides and then 1tr, ch1, 1tr at corners. Fasten off. (22tr along each side = 88tr)
1. Sl st into petal top, ch3, hdc in between petals – repeat around (12hdc, 12sl st, 24 x ch-3)
2. At the corners work (2hdc, 1dc, 1tr, ch 2 in first ch-3 space, then 1tr, 1dc, 2hdc in the next ch-3 space). Work 3sc into each of the 4 x ch-3 spaces along the sides. (48sc, 4X groups of 2hdc, dc,1tr, ch2, 1tr, 1dc, 2hdc).
3. Work 1dc into each st at the sides and then 1dc, ch1, 1dc at corners. Fasten off. (22dc along each side = 88dc)