Decoupage and Spray Paint

20121111-153930.jpg
I didn’t pay much for this old dresser. It was an ugly, old off white colour and the mirror was dangerously unstable. It had a couple of little scrapes on the top, but was otherwise pretty solid.

20121111-153953.jpg
The mirror came off easily and spray painting it was a cinch! I was already spray painting my little cane table, so I did them both together. Have I mentioned I love spray paint? It’s so easy to use!! It’s much quicker than a brush and the result is much smoother. Plus, there’s less mess to clean up!
I did a few good coats and it was already looking much fresher, but the scrapes on the top were still pretty obvious.
Recently, I’d been going through some of mum and dad’s old stuff in storage and had found some seriously outdated atlases. These were perfect for decoupaging the top of this dresser. So, about a dozen coats of mod podge later and this is the result. I paired the dresser with my grandmother’s old mirror. They look so cute together. Pretty!!!

20121111-154010.jpg

20121111-154024.jpg

20121111-154033.jpg

20121111-154105.jpg

20121111-154044.jpg

Garage sale side table makeover.

Side table makeover.

I picked up this little side table for $30 at a garage sale a few weeks ago. Although it was structurally sound the top was worn and a bit flakey. I’ll be honest, the idea of sanding it back and revarnishing it did not appeal to me. So i decided a little decoupage might dress it up a enough. I still wanted it to be quaint and country style, so i searched through my craft cupboard for something suitable.

I made the invitations for my brother’s wedding last year and had some of the pretty floral paper left over. I really wanted to use it for this table as a little reminder of the wedding. The wedding was fab! and my brother managed to snag himself a high quality girl, so i have fond memories of that day. Also, my daughter Rose played the piano for the brides entry which was really special. Anyway, back to the topic. The paper i used for the wedding invites was perfect. So after some light sanding, sticking on paper and applying many layers of modpodge, i was happy with the result. Here’s how it looks in the room….also, note the new wrought iron bedhead and base (thanks Mum and Dad).