Learn how to crochet herringbone single crochet with this step-by-step tutorial for beginners. It will be a nice choice if you are looking for a beautiful but relatively easy stitch. After learning, crochet placements, scarves and much more with it.
Herringbone Single Crochet | Step-by-Step Instructions
Herringbone stitch has an attractive chevron texture that is easier to crochet for beginners. Its time for learning that stitch:
Skill Level: Beginner
Pattern type: Two-row repeat
Techniques to Know:
Note: The pattern is written in the US instructions
Right/ Front Side Herringbone Stitch
Working style Herringbone SC is a little different for the wrong and right sides. Odd rows are the right side herringbone rows where you can crochet herringbone in the following way:
- Insert the crochet hook in the left leg of the post of the previous stitch (here, regular sc).
- Insert the hook into the next stitch. Insert into the back bump of the chain you are at starting.
Yarn and pull up a loop. You will now have three loops on the hook.
- Yarn over and draw it through all the loops on the hook. It will be the right-side herringbone stitch.
Wrong/Back Side Herringbone Stitch:
When you turn the work for the other row, you will face the wrong side, and the right side will be behind you. The even rows are wrong herringbone rows. Here, you will work the herringbone stitch in a different way:
- Make 1 turning chain and single crochet.
This time, insert the crochet hook in the right leg of the post of the previous stitch.
Then, enter the crochet hook from the back to the front.
Yarn over and pull up a loop.
Yarn over and pull through all three loops on the crochet hook.
- Keep creating the wrong and right side rows with the specific herringbone single crochet until you get the required height.
- Make sure you end up on the Wrong side.
Small Pattern (from scratch)
If you want a small pattern with abbreviations, read the below instructions:
- Ch: Chain
- Sc: Single crochet
- rhsc: Right Leg Herringbone single crochet
- lhsc: Left leg Herringbone single crochet
- st: Stitch
- Row 1: Ch in any number with 2 tr chs for sc. Sc in the 2nd ch from hook working in the BL or Back bump. Now, do lhsc in each st across. Turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1. Sc in the first st. rhsc in each stitch across.
- Row 3: Ch 1. Sc in first st from hook. lhsc in each stitch across turn.
- Keep repeating the row 2 and row 3 until you get the desired height.